Crispy Kale Salad with beets, walnuts and Honey vinaigrette
A big bunch of kale, about 16 leaves
6 medium sized yellow beets, or another colour if your prefer those
3/4 / 75 g cup walnuts
3 oz / 75 g semi firm cheese, e.g. prima donna, manchego, gruyere, or one of your own choice (optional)
Salt & pepper
1/2 tsp hot chili powder (Optional)
3 Tbsp oil, olive oil, rapeseed oil or sunflower oil
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp honey
Salt & Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 °F / 200°C.
2. Rinse and trim ends of beets and wrap them in foil, place them on parchment covered baking stone and place in the oven for approximately 1 hour, until at sharp knife easily cuts through.
3. Meanwhile rinse and dry the kale leaves. Grab 6 of them, remove leaves from stock and use a sharp knife (or a food processor) to chop them very finely. Use the rest of the leaves to make kale chips. Tore leaves from stock in pieces and place on a parchment covered baking stone, you might need two. Drizzle them with olive oil (approx. 1 Tbsp pr portion), chili powder, salt and pepper. Watch out for too much salt… Use your hands to massage the oil and spices into the leaves, and make sure they are spread out in only one layer.
4. When beets are done, turn down oven to approximately 300 F°/150°C. Place kale in oven for approximately 15-20 min, and watch them like a hawk, they burn sooo easily. Give them a little spin half way through and switch positions in the oven, making sure they are not burning on either sides, and at the same time place the walnuts in the oven with the kale and give them a little roasting.
5. Remove foil form beets, gently use a knife to peel the beets and cut them into slices or slim boats
6. Make the vinaigrette by whisking all of the ingredients together.
7. Arrange the salad by adding raw chopped kale, beets and a couple of tsp vinaigrette and mix together. then add kale chips, walnuts, cheese and gently fold together a couple of times, top with a tsp vinaigrette and a few nut crumbs.